Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Saving Grace

When I was mormon, I read scriptures regularly, but I have learned more since leaving than I ever knew as a believing mormon. For example is the scripture in Moroni 8. As a believing Mormon, the only part that is ever discussed, is the part about children being saved in Christ. However, the most fascinating part is the two verses that talk about people who have never received any knowledge of Jesus:

In Moroni 8:22-23 it states: 22 For behold that all little children are aalive in Christ, and also all they that are without the blaw. For the power of credemption cometh on all them that have dno law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—
 23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in adead works.
When I was still Mormon, I didn't think too hard on this passage, as I do now. I find it one of the most fascinating scriptures in the BoM. Joseph Smith's grandfather refused to believe in any organized religion because he believed that no religion had the capacity to save. He believed that god's grace saved. He believed that if god's grace was good enough to save some, it was great enough to save all.

If god's grace saves people, then a religion does not save, baptism does not save, saving ordinances do not save, good works do not save, and tithing paid to a church does not save.

We find a hint of this belief in Moroni 8. Children and people who do not hear the gospel of Jesus are saved with no need for saving ordinances. If no saving ordinances are needed for them, then why are they necessary for others? Why are there two sets of rules? If grace saves one set of people, then why do works save another set of people? Why are works necessary for people who do hear about Jesus? Why are works necessary for people who are born into the Mormon church?

I was raised to believe that in order to be saved, I must pay tithing, not have sex outside of marriage, attend the Mormon temple and church, faithfully do my church callings, take bread to my neighbor, and many other good works. Why must my good works save me, when no amount of good works are necessary for those who have no knowledge of the Mormon church or Jesus?

I was taught that I was more valiant and blessed than people who weren't born into a Mormon family, yet to get to heaven, it is harder for me to get there, than someone who was born in India or China.

It seems to me that god made it harder for me to return to him, and therefore I am not blessed or more valiant, and the guarantee I was given has too much fine print and is a bait a switch.

I want my money back.



No comments: