Saturday, September 17, 2011

Offense

Is leaving an organization because a person has been offended a logical, reasonable reason for leaving?

Is it a good enough reason to leave?  According to this article put out by the church, it is not:  http://lds.org/general-conference/2006/10/and-nothing-shall-offend-them?lang=eng

When I handed in my resignation, I was sent a pamphlet by the church, asking me to return if the reason I left was because I was offended. Well, I am offended by many things inside that organization. I am offended that women do not have equal access to money, power and privilege inside the mormon church. I am offended that women cannot hold a meeting on their own without a man being present.  I am offended that gays are committing suicide at high rates because they are not accepted as legitimate equals. I am offended that blacks could not hold the priesthood until 1976. Many things offend me, but I didn't leave because I was offended.

What happens, however, when the shoe is on the other foot?  I was asked to take down this very blog because some mormons find it offensive.  Are they *allowed* by Bednars own words, to take offense?  What about mormons who are confronted by what they term anti-mormon literature and are offended? Do they then have a right to be offended?  What about the people who protest outside the temple and at conference time? Do mormon's have the right to be offended?

According to Bednar's own words, they should not take offense.

No comments: