Sunday, May 20, 2012

Evolution

This is my take on Evolution:

Things change.

In order for a species to survive, it must change or adapt to its environment to survive.  A species that is resistant to change will not survive.

A species that has adapted to its environment is better able to survive.  Dawrin shows this in: Adaptation is the process that makes organisms better suited to their habitat.[153][154] Also, the term adaptation may refer to a trait that is important for an organism's survival. For example, the adaptation of horses' teeth to the grinding of grass. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

If a person becomes rigid in their thoughts or actions, then they are not able to accept change.  If they are not able to accept change, they are not able to adapt to survive.

When I was confronted with new information about the mormon church, I had to either accept it, or adapt to it, or become rigid and not accept it.

As I have often contemplated why I was able to eventually accept this new information and adapt to it, act on it, and leave the mormon church, I have wondered why so many others, when given this same information are not able to make the same changes in their lives.

Even though making changes in my life meant a great deal of anxiety, heartache and pain, I was able to adapt to the changes necessary.

I have come to believe that it is this fundamental idea that has helped me accept and change my circumstances and others have not.

I have the genetic ability to adapt and change, and others lack this ability to do so.

This is my working hypothesis and I'm sticking to it.